Re: Updating kernels impossible when /boot is getting full

On Mon, 2 Aug 2021 at 08:33, Andy Smith <andy@strugglers.net> wrote:

> At this point there will probably be some people who consider
> themselves veterans saying that one must absolutely split things off
> because of various reasons like differing mount options being
> desirable, ability to re-use contents of /home after reinstall,
> having multiple devices and wanting to suit filesystem contents to
> drive characteristics, … or whatever. Most of that will not apply to
> any given person, and if it does then I believe it's better done
> with volume management.

In addition to the good advice given, one use case not mentioned is
that Debian installer for current stable creates a separate unencrypted
/boot partition if the rest of the disk is encrypted.

My understanding is that this is due to Grub2 not supporting LUKS2,
which is the Debian default, even though it seems that Grub2 can
support LUKS1.

I haven't been following if that will change for the upcoming Bullseye
release, but if not then I expect separate /boot will be around for some time.
And people really should consider disk encryption, especially their
portable devices.