Re: [SOLVED] Radeon 6800 XT: 100% GPU core usage & 74 Watts when idle

On 2021-07-31 at 17:20, piorunz wrote:

> Debian 11 patched kernel is out!
> That will fix everyone who have been affected and they didn't switched
> to older kernel or compiled their own.
>

> linux-signed-amd64 (5.10.46+3) unstable; urgency=medium

>    * Revert "drm/amdgpu/gfx9: fix the doorbell missing when in CGPG issue."
>      (Closes: #990312)
>    * Revert "drm/amdgpu/gfx10: enlarge CP_MEC_DOORBELL_RANGE_UPPER to
> cover full
>      doorbell." (Closes: #990312)

I was actually watching the unblock-request bug for that, but apparently
it doesn't get updated when the package migrates.

I'm in the updated kernel now, and I confirm the fix. gpu_busy_percent
is now 0 rather than 99, and the output of 'sensors' for amdgpu-pci-0d00
now reports a fan speed of 815 RPM (down from 1478), temperature
readings of 55, 56, and 68 degrees Celsius (down from 66, 72, and 78),
and a power reading of 40 W (down from 94).

I wasn't hearing/noticing meaningful levels of noise from the fan(s)
before, but it does sound just a bit quieter now - and of course less
power draw, less heat generation, and less energy consumption are all
good things.

--
   The Wanderer