Re: how best to do

Dan Ritter wrote:

>> Raid6 sounds promising. Equivalent capacity is also one drive?
>
> No, you actually get about 2 drives of capacity out of 4 here.

You get N-1, so from 4x2TB disks you get close to 6TB RAID6 (you have also
various FS layer overhead)

Gene, IMO this is best option but I do not remember what was faster read or
write - there was a catch, so depends on the usecase. I did on one I use
for backup

On storage server for HA I bought 2 LSI controllers that manage 2x6 3.5"
disk bays - for now I have 4x4 disks that are equally distributed and in
RAID1 - might be the 2 LSI was overkill and a limitation into some extent,
but ... if one of them dies, the other will continue serve until
replacement is there (and I still use 1Gbps copper which is the actual
limitation for NFS SSH Samba or whatever goes trough)

regards

PS: just think twice, cause later it's harder to manage the amounts of data