Re: how best to do

On Wed, 28 Jul 2021 09:44:24 -0400
Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:

> I've been dragging my feet on updating from stretch to buster,
> waiting for 1TB SSD's to get affordable. Now they almost have.
>
> But I do have a pair of 500 GB SamSung EVO 860's and one empty sata
> socket. Spares for the rest of my multi-machine farm, currently at 5
> other machines.

I have a setup similar to yours. However, I use SSDs for stuff I want
readily available (OS, programs, /home, etc.).

On my main computer, I have two 4TB spinning rust drives, with RAID0 on
them. I keep stuff on them where speed isn't as big a deal: backups,
etc. Backups include amanda backups, rsnapshot backups, and others. I
plan to add drives to upgrade the RAID to add checksums, and that will
involve buying a SATA controller.

If money is a concern, something like that might work for you.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com
https://charlescurley.com/blog/