Re: [OT] Why I don't like github [was: Please help to test latest Debian 11 release candidate on real] hardware

On Mon, Jul 26, 2021 at 05:18:57PM -0400, Celejar wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Jul 2021 18:53:13 +0200
> <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jul 26, 2021 at 12:49:19PM -0400, Celejar wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > Anyone can "borrow" open source code, regardless of where it's hosted,
> > > pretty much by definition.
> >
> > License restrictions apply.
>
> Of course, but I didn't think that hosting the code on Github gives
> Microsoft more rights over it than if it were hosted somewhere else. Is
> there anything in the Github terms of service that grants Microsoft
> more rights over my code than the terms of the applicable license? And
> if you're assuming that Microsoft won't respect license terms, then
> once again, it won't matter where the code is hosted.

Whether training ML models on GNU GPL software and using their results
in code with an incompatible license (or the whole other way around,
using models trained on proprietary software to inject snippets into
free sowftware [1]) is OK or not is a discussion which is just beginning.
Here are two examples, by Matthew Garrett [2] and Julia Reda [3],
two persons who are known to think hard about free software licenses.

Enjoy :)

[1] Although I have the strong hunch (why, oh, why?) that Microsoft
   will be much more respectful of proprietary licenses than of free
   ones.

[2] https://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/57615.html

[3] https://juliareda.eu/2021/07/github-copilot-is-not-infringing-your-copyright/