Re: [OT] Why I don't like github [was: Please help to test latest Debian 11 release candidate on real] hardware

On Sun, Jul 25, 2021 at 09:21:18PM +0100, Brian wrote:
> On Sun 25 Jul 2021 at 21:36:26 +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

[...]

> > It is subtle, and you might disagree.
>
> My disagreement is based on my pragmetic attitude. Nobody is out to
> get us. Assume the best. A good Debian attitude, IMHO.

This would be a misunderstanding. I don't think Microsoft is out
to "get us". They couldn't care less. They're only out to maximise
their bottom line. If that involves making their customers dependent,
so be it.

Regarding their bottom line, /I/ couldn't care less, so it is somewhat
reciprocal :-)

[...]

> Thank you for your coherent argument. I appreciate the concerns. For
> now I can work with github in the limited way I do.

I'm glad that it seems to make kind of sense. I found it difficult
to find words for it.

> I like Asimov. I like the reference. Like 1984, is it the present or
> the future?

Yeah, the strength of that story is that the judgement is left to the
reader.

Cheers
 - t