Re: where can i find a list of wireless adapter that debian support

On Jo, 22 iul 21, 04:33:09, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Thursday 22 July 2021 00:58:23 loushanguan2015@sina.com wrote:
>
> > Thank Georgi!
> > the tricky part of my search for ideal adapter(needn't non-free
> > firmware) isthat many vendors claim they support linux, but i'm afraid
> > they require non-free firmware is there some easy way to find out if
> > it requires non-free firmware?
>
> I'll repeat why you will find there is a 100% need for sealed blobs of
> firmware. Because the FCC requires that the frequencies used be limited
> to the assigned band for this service, and the power outputs are also
> limited, these are options for software radios, must be enforced with
> with code whose limits are not accessable to the user. So all code that
> manages this, is by the rules, sealed code, and the radio doesn't work
> w/o it.

Sure.

On the other hand, if the device would accept only firmware signed by
the manufacturer the code itself could be open sourced.

Users would still depend on the manufacturers to actually release
updates, but at least they would have a way to contribute improvements
to the code.

Kind regards,
Andrei