Re: USB audio device no longer showing up

On Thu, 22 Jul 2021, Thomas Amm wrote:

according to my long and sometimes painful experience with USB-audio
interfaces I suspect that it is the internal USB connector in your
external interface that's failing. So hardware problem, indeed.
These connectors are 50¢ apiece, but unfortunately they are usually SMC
parts soldered directy on the print circuit board so they provide very
little resistance against the shearing tension implied by the USB
cable. I've just luckily been able to repair a € 500.- desktop
synthesizer from exactly that kind of damage.

i note in passing this is another great use for USB hubs. recently when i started having serious video camera problems, and having diagnosed a USB socket on its way out, i ended up replacing a £20 hub with another £20 hub, instead of having to try, as you say, to repair a multi-hundred-euro motherboard.

use a cheap hub for all your day-to-day connection and disconnection needs, and save wear and tear on your fragile motherboard connectors.

--

      Tom Yates  -  https://www.teaparty.net