Re: help: apt stuck at 0% [Waiting for headers]

On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 03:48:08PM -0500, Michael Morgan wrote:
> I need some help here. I worked in a university and have a linux (debian 9)
> machine with DHCP. For some reason I needed a static IP and two weeks ago
> the university sent someone who helped me set up the static IP. From what I
> saw the file they modified is the "/etc/network/interfaces".

Let's assume that the university is like a workplace, and has who-knows-what
kind of crazy broken firewalls or proxies in place.

> Ign:1 http://security.debian.org/debian-security stretch/updates InRelease
> Ign:2 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stretch InRelease
> Err:3 http://security.debian.org/debian-security stretch/updates Release
>   Connection failed [IP: 151.101.50.132 80]
> Ign:4 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stretch-updates InRelease
> Err:5 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stretch Release
>   Connection failed [IP: 128.61.240.89 80]
> Err:6 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stretch-updates Release
>   Connection failed [IP: 128.61.240.89 80]

> The internet connection has no problem. DNS seems fine as well. I can ping
> for example security.debian.org or 8.8.8.8.

But can you get to them in a web browser?  Or anything else that talks
to port 80 using the HTTP protocol?

Try visiting
<http://security.debian.org/debian-security/dists/stretch/updates>
in a web browser on the machine that's having problems.  See if it can
retrieve the "Index of ..." page.  Maybe you'll get something else
instead.

If you get a failure that looks like a workplace proxy or firewall
interfering, you might try switching from http to https sources.
Sometimes that works.

Otherwise, you'll have to talk to the networking folks at this university,
tell them the problem you're having, and ask them what you can do.