Re: different internet speed in debian and smart phone

On Mon, Jul 19, 2021, 8:02 AM Reco <recoverym4n@enotuniq.net> wrote:
        Hi.

Please do not top-post.

On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 07:07:30AM -0500, Nicholas Geovanis wrote:
> Reading this thread, remembering my annoyance with NetworkManager, I ran
> across this article by RedHat's NetManager developer Thomas Haller. From
> last year. Yes I suppose it's promotional, but he sorts thru some of the
> high-level issues that software like it has to address.
> https://blogs.gnome.org/thaller/2020/04/10/why-networkmanager/

> NetworkManager works well on the phone,

Sorry, what?

> the server,

Man's entitled to his option. Using a "stateful process" for a typical
"static IP, one default gateway" server is an overkill, but the link
contains "gnome.org", so this is expected.

It seems clear that NetworkManager like systemd was a response to non-dedicated, transient network configuration of a portable device or hands-off networking environment  (including physical layer). Naturally, we needed to build an all-encompassing software world-view on top of that :-) cause that's what we do :-)

> in a container,

On the contrary, in a well-designed container any means of configuring
the network from the inside are redundant at best. A good container
starts with the network that's configured already, and cannot change a
single bit of it while it's running.

> on a notebook and on a workstation.

Note the absence of "on a router" in that list.

Deities defend us.
My problem is the complete absence of thought shown by that list "server notebook workstation".
I want to ask him: What is a use-case?

Also to point out that containers too have different use-cases, and he seems to have done a mash-up again. You point-out one such case. I see at least three: what you might call cloud-temp, on-prem-in-broadest-terms, and human-at-workstation.

Reco