Re: How do I mount the USB stick containing the installer in Rescue Mode?

On 2021-07-15 at 07:00, Greg Wooledge wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 15, 2021 at 12:55:11PM +0300, Reco wrote:
>
>> "nofail" is really needed for removable devices, because whoever
>> designed systemd made an "interesting" decision to halt the boot
>> process (i.e. host is inaccessible by network, console access only)
>> even if a single filesystem mentioned in fstab fails to mount.
>
> This was the traditional behavior before systemd, so one can't
> really fault systemd for continuing the practice.
>
> It's assumed that all file systems mentioned in /etc/fstab are
> essential to the correct operation of the system (unless otherwise
> specified).  If one of them doesn't mount, it means a disk is broken
> to the point where human intervention is required, so the operating
> system decides to play it safe and not continue.

Given the number of complaints I remember reading about cases where a
computer which had been working fine before failed to boot under
systemd, because there was a fstab entry which didn't have "nofail" set
where systemd needed it to be, I find the assertion that this was the
traditional behavior before systemd to be implausible.

--
   The Wanderer