Re: MDs & Dentists

Hi,

On 2021-07-14 8:23 a.m., Dan Ritter wrote:
> ellanios82 wrote:
>>
>>  - have heard it opined that MDs & Dentists are seldom good investors, for
>> the reason that they are used to usually being 'Right'
>>

> I'm not sure what this has to do with Debian, but this overlaps
> with my professional interests.
>
> As far as I can tell, the reason that MDs and dentists are
> notable as bad investors is the same reason that they are
> notable as bad pilots: in the middle to end of their careers
> they have lots of money and no particular life experience other
> than their professions. They look for something that is
> appealing on the surface, put just enough time into it to
> convince themselves that they are going to be quite good at it
> because they are already successful, and then crash.

I can only agree with you, being MD myself. Well, I'd better say used to
be MD. But again, that's wrong because I still got the diploma but ain't
doing the usual job MD do.

> https://generalaviationnews.com/2017/03/29/the-doctor-killer/
>
> Luckily, programming is a useful alternative hobby for medical
> professionals. As long as you stay away from certain obscure
> areas -- say, device drivers and financial software -- the
> penalties for screwing up are much lower.
>
> If you like your doctor or dentist, encourage them to learn
> Debian and get into programming rather than daytrading or
> piloting.
We maybe don't remember but if we go back 30 years or so ago, most
people who graduated with a master in science, chemistry, physics or
such all had to learn programming. Why ? Because they used it as a tool
for doing research, making library of math function for analysis of data...
My father-in-law as part of his master in geophysics used some Fortran
to do waveform analysis, looking out for sign of specifics rock
formation. All this produced truck load of data and he had to analyze
it. In the early 80s, there was not many math package like we had today,
even less that connected directly to signal acquisition system.
So he built one with a DEC PDP-11.

Today with the ease of the new software, most people will only use
end-user software but in those days, you build your own.
He even developed a molecule display program for the Commodore 64...

--
Polyna-Maude R.-Summerside