Re: Vulkan with Radeon RX 5700 XT

On 10.07.2021 02:44, The Wanderer wrote:
Does anyone have experience with using Vulkan with AMD graphics on
vaguely current Debian, using an even vaguely recent GPU? (Where
"vaguely current Debian" means Debian testing more recently than the
release of current stable, and a "vaguely recent GPU" means something
new enough that disabling the support for it in the legacy radeon driver
isn't necessary, because that driver doesn't support it to begin with.)

Any suggestions for ways to pursue getting this working, that don't
involve hybridizing or Frankensteining or otherwise messing up my
installed system?
While being a "nvidia-guy" myself (long before ATI was bought by AMD), out of curiosity, I've asked myself "what would I do" and looked into AMD driver support in Debian.
And to my surprise, I didn't found a simple way like "amd-driver" meta-package to install, as opposed to "nvidia-driver" package for nvidia-based VGAs.
So, if I were you, I would bite the bullet and use latest official driver [1] provided by AMD, simply because there are no other options.
Upon further examination "*.deb" packages they provide will be installed into paths with "*/opt/*" and because of that, they won't overwrite any Debian-native files, so there is little to none possibility to create "franken-debian" by installing them. And since they are packaged into ".deb" files you can always cleanly uninstall them.
The only thing I would do prior to driver installation is to enable i386 architecture support [2] on my system, if it wasn't enabled already:
    # dpkg --add-architecture i386

I wonder why a convenient "amd-driver" meta-package wasn't created yet...

[1] https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-5700-series/amd-radeon-rx-5700-series/amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt
[2] https://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch/HOWTO
--
With kindest regards, Alexander.