Re: How do I get back the GRUB menu with the blue background?

Hi David

> Sent: Monday, July 05, 2021 at 4:52 AM
> From: "David Wright" <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk>
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: How do I get back the GRUB menu with the blue background?
>

> I find the Grub installation prompts in the d-i very confusing.
> I'm wondering whether your process incorrectly updated grub.cfg
> in the ESP on the SSD.

I suspected it too because when I installed Debian Testing, I didn't delete both the ESP and /boot partitions that were created by Debian Buster. As a result, after installing Debian Testing successfully and rebooting my machine, there was no blue GRUB menu.

> Bear in mind there are two grub.cfg files.

Where are their locations?

> The
> second one is the familiar one, so I just give the head:
>
> # cat /boot/efi/EFI/debian/grub.cfg

When I issued the above command at the grub> prompt, the response was 'file /boot/efi/EFI/debian/grub.cfg' not found.

> (I only encrypt /Home and swap.) I'm wondering whether your first
> grub.cfg is pointing to the USB stick that you used in the
> installation. That would be simple to check.

No. If you're using UEFI and the partition table scheme is gpt, Debian 10's installer detects that your SSD is using EFI, there's a message on the screen that asks "Force EFI installation to a removable media? Yes or No". My response is always "No".

> If this guess, is correct, it might be possible to confirm it
> if you get these symptoms:
>
> . Booting with the internal drive only: GRUB> prompt.
> . Booting with the USB stick inserted: something else appears,
>   a blue Grub menu, or a Debian installer splash screen,
>   or even Windows.

I did what you suggested by first inserting the USB stick that contains Debian 10's installer and booting up my machine. There's no blue GRUB menu, whatsoever....

> Of course, the second scenario can only work if the USB's UUID
> hasn't been recreated by further uses.

Yes, I'm aware of that fact....

> ¹ With encrypted systems, you have to bear in mind what can be seen
>   outside and inside the container. This is easy to distinguish
>   with only /home encrypted, as you can inspect things with the
>   normal system tools.

My LUKS-encrypted partition consists of / and swap area. I assume the / contains /home, /var, /usr, etc...

Best wishes.