Re: correct settings of /var/mail/user?

On 2021-07-08 at 10:18, Hans wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I ran into the problem with mutt. Mutt can not delete my mails due
> to the access rights.
>
> Looks like something is not correct set. Can someone tell me the
> correctsetting?
>
> Mine are these at the moment:
>
> ls -la / | grep var
> drwxr-xr-x  14 root root    4096 18. Mai 11:33 var

$ ls -lhd /var/
drwxr-xr-x 16 root root 4.0K Jul  4 14:17 /var/

So this looks OK.

> ls -la /var | grep mail
> drwxrwsr-x   2 root mail   4096  8. Jul 16:02 mail

$ ls -lhd /var/mail/
drwxrwsr-x 2 root mail 4.0K Jul  7 07:03 /var/mail/

Seems like this one does too.

> ls -la /var/mail/username
>
> -rw-rw---- 1 myusername mail 55330396  8. Jul 16:02 /var/mail/myusername
>
> (The term "myusername" is an alias for my real username)

$ lh /var/mail/wanderer
-rw-rw---- 1 wanderer mail 0 Jul  7 07:03 /var/mail/wanderer

So does this.

Unless there's something I'm not spotting, it doesn't look like the
issue is with file/directory permissions. Just offhand, comparing
against my own system, I'm not sure of exactly where to look.

(I don't use mutt myself, but I do read mail from this spool using
/usr/bin/mail (which is /usr/bin/bsd-mailx), so would presumably need
the same access - and I don't have the errors you're reporting.)

--
   The Wanderer