Re: Moving dual boot Win10 & Debian 10 system from Legacy to UEFI

On Sun, 04 Jul 2021 17:23:33 -0700, David Christensen wrote:

> On 7/4/21 4:22 PM, Juan R. de Silva wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I dual boot Debian 10 with Windows 10 from MBR in Legacy mode on my 6
>> years old Dell M4800 workstation. The BIOS supports both Legacy and
>> UEFI modes. With upcoming Windows 11 I am compelled to switch to UEFI
>> mode.
>
> <snip>
>
> Dell Precision M4800 laptops have 4th generation Intel Core processors
> [1] and Windows 11 does not support them [2].  So, even if you succeed
> in converting your Windows 10 / Debian 10 dual boot from BIOS/MBR to
> UEFI/GPT, you will not be able to run Windows 11 on that computer.

You are right, my processor (i7-4810MQ) is currently in not supported
processors list I finally found.

I run this tool https://github.com/rcmaehl/WhyNotWin11 on my laptop and
it missed to point it out. It reported all requirements were met
providing I will enable TMP module and switch to UEFI.

My bad, thank you for suggesting.

Well, good for me... I no longer have this headache. :-) Considering MS
will support Windows 10 up to Oct. 2025 I am doing just fine. I use
Windows once a year to prepare my taxes anyway. By that time I'll have to
replace my M4800 workstation with something more up to date in any case.
With systemd advent it already started showing first signs of wanted to
retire. I'm not even sure it will make it for 3-4 years more.

Thanks again.