Re: make custom kernel

mick crane <mick.crane@gmail.com> writes:

> I've done it before but I've forgotten and the order.
> What's the procedure for making a custom kernel?
> Install linux headers
> change to a "build" directory
> make menu-config
> ./configure
> make
> make dep
> make install
> make clean

I assume there are full instructions somewhere. One cool thing to
remember is that the mainstream kernel sources still have deb-pkg target
which neatly generates deb packages for the kernel image and
headers. Last time I built kernels I made good use of that. I stopped
around when Debian 10 came out, just didn't seem worth the trouble.