Re: systemd nfs mount blocked until first entered

On Fri, Jul 02, 2021 at 06:12:58PM +0200, Reiner Buehl wrote:
> I have a directory that is mounted via NFS from a remote server. The mount
> is done via an /etc/fstab entry like this:
>
> 192.168.1.2:/video /video       nfs
> defaults,x-systemd.automount,x-systemd.requires=network-online.target,x-systemd.device-timeout=10,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,soft,nolock,noatime
>      0       0

That's a lot of options.  I wonder what they all do.

If you simply boot the machine and then login and run 'df', do you see
the file system mounted?

I'm wondering in particular about that x-systemd.automount option.  Does
that mean something like "don't mount this until I think someone really
wants it"?

https://manpages.debian.org/buster/systemd/systemd.automount.5.en.html
says that these are "activated when the automount path is accessed", but
it doesn't say what counts as "accessed".

I wonder if removing the x-systemd.automount option would help you.

The other thing you'll want to look at is how your network interface
is configured.  You've got x-systemd.requires=network-online.target
which *sounds* reasonable, but only if the network interface is actually
configured to be waited upon.

If you're using /etc/network/interface (the Debian default) for your
interface config, make sure the interface is marked as "auto", rather
than as "allow-hotplug".  The latter causes systemd NOT to wait for
the interface.  Make sure it says "auto" instead.