Re: x-window-manager alternative missing

On 2021-07-02 at 12:01, Siard wrote:

> The Wanderer:
>
>> What package, or packages, set(s) up the x-window-manager alternative
>> and define(s) symlinks for it?
>
> To set the default x-window-manager, you can use:
>
>    # update-alternatives --config x-window-manager

As far as I'm aware, that will only work if the x-window-manager
alternative group is already defined. The problem I was seeing was that
there *was* no such group defined to exist; i.e., such things as the
/etc/alternatives/x-window-manager symlink did not exist.

I ended up using

# update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/x-window-manager
x-window-manager /path/to/my/WM 95

where '95' was chosen because that's the priority of the existing
alternative on the system I'm using as the base for comparison.

> To only see the available (i.e. installed) x-window-managers:
>
>    $ update-alternatives --list x-window-manager

Or, for more information about the link group, '--query'.

--
   The Wanderer