x-window-manager alternative missing

What package, or packages, set(s) up the x-window-manager alternative
and define(s) symlinks for it?

I'm building a new computer, and setting up my (Debian-based) preferred
configuration on it, and I've just discovered that there is no
x-window-manager alternative defined; as a result, running startx
results in invoking x-terminal-emulator instead, which brings up X in a
very '80s-looking display and launches a single xterm.

I could certainly just create the appropriate alternatives group myself,
based on what's already in place on the system I'm preparing to replace
with this new one, but I'd rather do this the right way unless there's
no clear viable alternative. However, I haven't so far managed to
identify what the Debian-native "right way" to get this set up is; on
all the previous computers I remember building, once I installed the
usual collection of make-X-available packages - specifically, that I
remember, xinit (for startx) and xserver-xorg - this is one detail that
Just Worked.

I'm guessing that installing any of the various packages which have
"Provides: x-window-manager" might do it, but the computer I'm preparing
to replace doesn't have any of those installed, and still has the
x-window-manager alternative. (I run a WM which I compile and install
locally, rather than via a Debian package.)

If I recall correctly, one of those packages probably *was* installed at
some early point in the original installation of the being-replaced
computer (now nearly a decade ago), so it's possible that installing it
set up the alternatives group and then I just reconfigured that group to
my preferred target, so removing the package didn't result in removing
the group... in which case installing one such package temporarily
should get things working, but it might make more sense to just create
the alternatives group by hand.

--
   The Wanderer