Re: GRUB command-line with timeout

On Thu 01 Jul 2021 at 20:39:48 (+0100), Brian wrote:
> On Thu 01 Jul 2021 at 20:08:40 +0200, Steve Keller wrote:
>
> > When booting with GRUB, normally the menu showing several kernel
> > versions and/or kernel command lines appears to choose from.  If no
> > selection is made within a few seconds (default is 5s IIRC), the
> > default entry is booted.
>
> Sounds about right.
>
> > I'd prefer to be dropped into the GRUB command line instead of that
> > menu.  But still I'd like to have the timeout after which a default
> > entry is boot if no command is entered at the prompt.
>
> You want GRUB's normal operation but, at the same time, you want GRUB
> to fail?
>
> The use case is interesting. Perhaps you could explain.
>
> > Can that be configured in GRUB?
>
> Only with great difficulty.

I agree. My (untested) partial solution still requires you to press C
to get the Grub prompt.

It does seem a recipe for confusion, though. How would you tell if
Grub said "Grub>" because you had succeeded in your quest,
or said "Grub>" because it had failed, i the normal way of things.

Cheers,
David.