Re: GRUB command-line with timeout

On Thu 01 Jul 2021 at 20:08:40 (+0200), Steve Keller wrote:
> When booting with GRUB, normally the menu showing several kernel
> versions and/or kernel command lines appears to choose from.  If no
> selection is made within a few seconds (default is 5s IIRC), the
> default entry is booted.
>
> I'd prefer to be dropped into the GRUB command line instead of that
> menu.  But still I'd like to have the timeout after which a default
> entry is boot if no command is entered at the prompt.
>
> Can that be configured in GRUB?

‘GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE’

     If this option is set to ‘countdown’ or ‘hidden’, then, before displaying the menu, GRUB will wait
     for the timeout set by ‘GRUB_TIMEOUT’ to expire. If ESC is pressed during that time, it will display
     the menu and wait for input. If a hotkey associated with a menu entry is pressed, it will
     boot the associated menu entry immediately. If the timeout expires before either of these
     happens, it will boot the default entry. In the ‘countdown’ case, it will show a one-line
     indication of the remaining time.

Cheers,
David.