Re: Wanted: a special purpose Debian installer

On Sun, Jun 27, 2021 at 08:33:58AM -0700, Peter Ehlert wrote:

> On 6/27/21 7:37 AM, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > You also need to install "xorg", which will bring in the X server and
> > various utilities to make it run, including startx (which is in the
> > xinit package, which is a direct dependency of xorg).
> Thanks, that works
> I do still need to run startx but that's not a problem

Some of us prefer it that way.

If you'd like a graphical login screen, choose one of the Display Manager
package (perhaps lightdm or gdm3) and install that.  This will change
how you login, which will change which dot files you need to edit to make
things happen.