Re: Fatal error while burning CD

> On June 25, 2021 at 5:49 AM Thomas Schmitt <scdbackup@gmx.net> wrote:
>

> Hi,
>
> Michael Lange wrote:
> > If someone here can report about experience (good or bad) with specific
> > make and models (still not sure whether the next drive will be a DVD- or
> > BD-writer), it would be welcome...
>
> In general i'd buy any brand of full height drives.
> I currently run 3 LGs, 2 ASUS, 1 Samsung, 1 Optiarc, 1 PIONEER.
>
> It's more a matter of the individual drive than of the manufacturer or
> model. Not so good during the last 5 years were:
> - The flaky new DVD burner which i had to send back was a LITEON
>   iHAS124F. But i know of other iHASen which work well.
> - An LG GH24NSC0 became unreliable after only two years.
>   The LITEON was planned as replacement. In the end the job went to a
>   ASUS DRW-24D5MT.
> (Both did cost about 15 EUR. So any testing at the factory would eat up
> the manufacturer's profit.)
>
> I always refrained from slim drives. User reports suggest that they are
> a bit less reliable. But your mileage may vary ...

> A little warning about PIONEER BDR-S09 might be appropriate:
>
> Mine reads BD-RW with such a high (and not adjustable) speed and has such
> a strong grip on the medium, that two newer "Verbatim" BD-RW media
> developed a radial crack from the inner hole towards the writable area.
> With one of the media the crack reached the writable area and made the
> medium unreadable.
> This happened during stress tests after about 10 times of reading. The
> media bear the manufacturer id "CMCMAG/CN2/0". Older Verbatim BD-RW
> (VERBAT/IM0/0) or those from "Intenso", "Primeon" and "Maxcell"
> (all RITEK/BW1/1) did not suffer such a damage in 20 read runs at about
> 10x BD speed.
> The drive itself survived the intensive testing without problems.
>
> I addressed the PIONEER BDR-S09's unwillingness to read with slower speed
> by special parameters of xorriso command -read_speed, which curb the drive
> speed by simply not taking more data per second than the desired speed
> would deliver. I.e. xorriso waits with new READ(10) commands until enough
> time has eleapsed since the last one. This causes the drive to make less
> noise and to let the "CMCMAG/CN2/0" media survive 20 read runs without
> visible damage:
>
>   xorriso -for_backup -indev /dev/sr1 \
>           -read_speed soft_force:4xBD \
>           -check_media --
>
> (The Linux kernel offers no such curb mechanism, i fear.)
>
> In general i only feed the PIONEER with the RITEKs of which i have enough.
> I now refrain from buying new "Verbatim" BD-RW, although it might be that
> their plastic body became more sturdy meanwhile.
>

> Have a nice day :)
>
> Thomas

I've had an LG GP08LU11, ROM version X01 "Super Multi DVD Rewriter" for several years,
and while it has not seen heavy use, it has always worked reliably, and now with a new
drive-less computer, I've had to use it more frequently. It has been reliable, and it
also will burn Lite-Scribe disk info into those disks, which many full-size built in
drives won't. Neither will the drive in a Dell laptop. As usual, YMMV.  --doug