Re: Debian 11 RC, system.map is missing

On 2021-06-25 at 11:10, Жора Волков wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> System.map-5.10.0-7-amd64 file has the following content:
>
>>> ffffffffffffffff B The real System.map is in the
> linux-image-<version>-dbg package
>
> My question is - whether this change is permanent and will be in the
> final release as well, or it's a temporary thing?

I see no reason to expect that it would be temporary.

The change apparently happened in version 5.8.3-1~exp1.
/usr/share/doc/linux-image--5.10.0-7-amd64/changelog.gz contains the
following entry under that version:

  * Move System.map into debug package and replace with pointer.

> If the former, then what's the reasoning behind that change?

Well, what is System.map used for?

My understanding is that it's primarily useful when trying to debug the
kernel.

As such, it only really makes sense to have it present (and taking up
space) when that's what you're trying to do - at which point you'll also
presumably want to have the other files that are present in the
debugging-symbols package for the Linux kernel version in question.

If that doesn't address your question, can you please clarify what
you're wanting to know and why? E.g., knowing what your expectations are
here might be helpful.

--
   The Wanderer