Re: Fatal error while burning CD

Hi,

Michael Lange wrote:
> burning failed with this option, too (two out of three runs).

Looks like you really need a new drive.

> cdrskin: FATAL : SCSI error on write(299,13): See MMC \
>         specs: Sense Key 5 "Illegal request", ASC A8 ASCQ 04.
>
> I think this means that it failed even a bit earlier than without this
> option when it was "SCSI error on write(442,13)"?
> Before it fails there is a real lot of log entries (about 3000 lines) like
>
> READ BUFFER CAPACITY
> 5c 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 0c 00
> From drive: 12b
> 00 0a 00 00 00 12 00 00 00 04 10 00
>      342 us     [ 26803073 ]
>
> But maybe this is to be expected when cdrskin runs with the
> modesty_on_drive=... option?

Yes. That option causes frequent inquiry of the drive's buffer status.
At the time of above READ BUFFER CAPACITY command the free buffer capacity
was 0x041000 = 266240 bytes. That's about 77.5 percent fill of the
0x120000 = 1,179,648 buffer bytes.

So the buffer really does not get filled completely. In the log which you
sent me, the error ocured after 28.8 seconds of libburn run time. At the
time of above command, libburn was running for 26.803073 seconds.
(What number is to see in the microsecond timestamp []-brackets of the
failed WRITE(10) command ? Is it around 28 million ?)

So it looks more like the actual burn start brings the drive firmware to
reporting its self-invented (or "vendor specific") error code.
I would next point to the power supply situation, if it was an external
drive which gets its power via the USB cable. In that case the theory
would be that the laser beam uses too much electricty so that the firmware
processor gets a hick-up.

But as it appears now, the drive is just mad and unreliable.
I'm crossing fingers that your next one will have a long and happy life.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas