Re: grub2 boot menu

On Thu 24 Jun 2021 at 14:51:06 (+0100), mick crane wrote:
> I was dual booting but got another PC so I can have windows and debain
> at the same time. Just for tidiness of booting I'd have liked to
> comment out the submenu entry in /boot/grub/grub.cfg for windows just
> in case I wanted to put it back but not allowed.
> Physically removing the windows disk and "grub-mkconfig" and/or
> "update-grub" sorts itself out but is there any way to do this
> manually as used to be the case ?

Some BIOSes will allow you to turn off a disk interface.
But I can't see the point, myself. I've only done this
when I had an interface that would stall booting (and
updating Grub) for 10 minutes while it repeatedly timed
out many many times. (IOW it was broken.)

The Windows entry would disappear when grub.cfg is rebuilt
(unless you edit it yourself). Of course, when you wanted
Windows back, you'd need to rebuild grub.cfg again before
you could boot it (unless you learn a few raw Grub commands).

Can you not just ignore the entry. It's usually right at the
bottom of the list. In fact, do you really *read* the grub
menu when you boot?

Cheers,
David.