Re: Fatal error while burning CD

Hi,

On Thu, 24 Jun 2021 09:19:43 +0200
"Thomas Schmitt" <scdbackup@gmx.net> wrote:

(...)
> > $ cdrskin dev=/dev/sr0 -minfo 2>&1 | tee -i /tmp/cdrskin_minfo
> > Vendor_info    : 'PLEXTOR'
> > Identifikation : 'DVDR PX-810SA'
> > Revision       : '1.01'
>
> According to Google this drive iseems to have appeared around 2006.
> How old is yours ?

I'm not sure, but it's certainly not much younger.

> > Maybe I should add that this or similar errors (I at least
> > clearly remember the "Sense key 5") occured with cdrdao with
> > blanks of different manufacturers.
>
> I'd expect cdrdao to act deterministically, too.
>

> > Once I tried to let cdrdao just finish
> > without interrupting it and to my utter surprise it produced a CD that
> > when inserted into the CD-player was recognized and reported with the
> > expected track count and duration.
>
> Looks like the table-of-content was sucessfully written. With SAO this
> happens before data writing begins.
>

> So yes, you should consider to get a new drive.

I thought so, maybe the drive is just dying slowly.

> DVD drives are cheap nowadays. Last time i got one, i had to send it
> back because of being unreliable with reading what it wrote. The
> replacement works well. (I suspect that the bad one was sent to the
> next customer. Nobody was interested in my problem report.)

:-)

> Personally, i'd rather get a BD drive for about 5 times the price.
> But if you are mainly into audio CD burning, this would be overdone.
> In any case, test it with all your intended use cases, as soon as it
> arrives.

I've been thinking about buying a BD device, not sure about it yet (maybe
I'll throw a coin :)
Testing the new drive thoroughly immediately after buying definitely
sounds like good advice.

Thanks again for the help, and have a nice day :-)

Michael

Oh, that sound of male ego.  You travel halfway across the galaxy and
it's still the same song.
		-- Eve McHuron, "Mudd's Women", stardate 1330.1