Re: cdrskin: burn cdda with cue sheet file

On 2021-06-23 at 06:26, Thomas Schmitt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Michael Lange wrote:
>> > https://web.archive.org/web/20151223114027/http://digitalx.org/cue-sheet/
>> > cdrskin: FAILURE : In cue sheet file: Multiple occurrences of FILE
>
> Reco wrote:
>> cdrskin(1) says:
>> a *single file* which is given in the sheet by command FILE.
>
> Indeed. cdrskin expects a single FILE command in the CUE file.
> That's how i have read the CDRWIN CUE descriptions years ago.

That strikes me as intuitively wrong, just based on terminology.

I have always intuitively understood the term "cue sheet" to be derived
in some way from the context of stage and/or screen acting, and to refer
to a list of items which are to be cued up and the order in and timing
with which they are to be so cued up. That necessarily implies not only
the possibility of having multiple items in the list, but indeed that it
probably would not usually make sense to bother with the sheet if there
were only going to be one item.

https://www.ascap.com/news-events/articles/2005/cuesheets seems to, at
least approximately, back up that conception.

I have never (that I recall) encountered cdrskin prior to reading this
thread, but if I had encountered a program that limited cue sheets to
having only one entry, I would have immediately considered that a
definitional bug - quite possibly on the design level.

If a "cue sheet" in an optical-media-creation context is indeed supposed
to be limited to only one item, then I severely question the choice of
that term (by whoever made that choice, all those years ago).

--
   The Wanderer