Re: upgrade to testing

On Wed, Jun 16, 2021 at 11:47:21AM +0800, Robbi Nespu wrote:
> On 6/16/21 1:56 AM, Gary Dale wrote:
> >      sed -i -s 's/buster/bullseye/g' /etc/apt/sources.list
>
> I like this way, it easier and i don't need to open file and change it
> manually.

Yeah, it's wonderfully concise.  Too bad it's wrong.

The format of the security repository lines has changed for bullseye.
You can't just replace buster with bullseye this time around.

In addition, *every* time you do a release upgrade, you need to decide
how to handle third-party repositories.  The typical way you do that is
to disable them temporarily, perform the upgrade, and then re-enable
them -- either exactly as they were before, or with a slightly different
URL pointing to a different version, depending on the repository.

In some cases, you might even be able to get away with leaving the
third-party repository alone and it'll sit there doing nothing during
the release upgrade.  In other cases, it'll interfere, possibly breaking
the upgrade.  We have no way to know other than trial and error.

Another special case is the set of official backports repositories.  You
probably don't want to "just replace buster with bullseye" if you
were using buster-backports.  Most likely you simply want to get rid of
that repository entirely.  If you need bullseye-backports in the future,
after it comes into existence, then you can add it at that time.

Please see the release notes, or the DebianBullseye wiki page, or the
NewInBullseye wiki page.  I've given the URLs already.