Re: Wiping an unencrypted SSD in preparation for encryption

On 6/11/21 6:01 AM, Reco wrote:
On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 05:55:02AM -0700, David Christensen wrote:
On 6/10/21 11:49 PM, Reco wrote:
On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 11:43:12PM -0700, David Christensen wrote:
I don't bother with the 'discard' option in /etc/fstab, but perhaps I
should.  The fstab(5) and mount(8) manual pages are unclear if
'discard' applies to swap or ext4.

swapon(8):

     -d, --discard[=policy]
	  Enable  swap  discards ... The /etc/fstab mount options discard,
discard=once, or discard=pages may also be used to enable discard flags.

Therefore 'discard' can be applied to both ext4 and swap.

Thank you for the clarification regarding trim and swap.

Where do you see the information for ext4?

You just have to know where to look - ext4(5):

discard/nodiscard
	Controls  whether  ext4  should issue discard/TRIM commands to the
underlying block device when blocks are freed.  This is useful for SSD
devices and sparse/thinly-provisioned LUNs, but it is off by default
until sufficient testing has been done.

How exactly this ended in manpages section 5 (which is "File formats and
conventions eg /etc/passwd") is anyone's guess.

Reco

Thank you.

I needed to RTFM MOUNT(8) more carefully:

    FILESYSTEM-SPECIFIC MOUNT OPTIONS
You should consult the respective man page for the filesystem first. If you want to know what options the ext4 filesystem supports, then
       check  the ext4(5) man page.

David