Re: debian installation issue

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 07:09:29 -0400
songbird <songbird@anthive.com> wrote:

> Joe wrote:
> > It doesn't help that the BIOS is broken, that it does not honour the
> > EFI DefaultBoot, and always rewrites entry 0000 if I change it.
> > Fortunately, it does honour NextBoot, or I'd never be able to get it
> > booted into buster. But it worked with stretch. I could try
> > installing stretch again and take a disc image, but it's a fair bit
> > of work when I have no guarantee that whatever is missing will get
> > replaced, and I do have a workaround which works.
>
>   after grub has updates i have to run a script which
> resets the boot order in uefi.
>

> #
> # efibootmgr
>
> BootCurrent: 0001
> Timeout: 1 seconds
> BootOrder: 0001,0000,0006,0007,0005
>

> # efibootmgr -o 0,1,5,6,7
> BootCurrent: 0001
> Timeout: 1 seconds
> BootOrder: 0000,0001,0005,0006,0007

Yes, I can do that, but the BIOS rewrites it. It always puts the SATA
SSD drive (it also has a hardwired SSD) first in the list, and it
always fails to find something bootable on it. EFI booting is working
OK, as if I use efibootmgr to set NextBoot, that is honoured, and it
boots the correct entry.

--
Joe