Re: $PATH problem

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 01:48:47PM -0700, Gary L. Roach wrote:
> I have been trying to install Backuppc on my system and have run into a
> problem with the $PATH settings. I put the proper path setting in the
> /etc/environment file which, on login, is supposed to supply that path to
> all users. This worked fine for gary and root but not Backuppc user. The
> path for backuppc doesn't have all of the paths needed.

Does this "backuppc" user actually log in?  Or does it simply start
services at boot time, or have cron jobs, or something else?

Files that configure your interactive environment at login (such as
/etc/environment) have no effect on cron jobs or systemd services or
other such things.

You'll need to identify what processes you'd like to alter, and how those
processes get started.  The procedure will be different for each kind of
startup.