Re: Bullseye default python

On Wed 09 Jun 2021 at 10:39:32 (-0400), Henning Follmann wrote:

> I recently update one computer to bullseye.
> So I noticed that /usr/bin/python is not created.
> I probably missed the news how this will be handled.
> I think python never was managed through update-alternatives,
> /usr/bin/python was just a link to /usr/bin/python2
> which was again just a link to python2.7
>
> would it be possible to point /usr/bin/python to
> python3?
> Or is 2.7 still the default?

>From the wiki:

    NOTE: Debian testing (bullseye) has removed the "python" package
    and the '/usr/bin/python' symlink due to the deprecation of Python
    2. No packaged scripts should depend on the existence of
    '/usr/bin/python': if they do, that is a bug that should be
    reported to Debian. You can use the 'python-is-python3' or
    'python-is-python2' packages to restore an appropriate
    '/usr/bin/python' symlink for third-party or legacy scripts.

https://wiki.debian.org/Python

which seems reasonable to me. That seems to correspond to bullets
3 and 4 in PEP394:

   Distributors may choose to set the behavior of the python command
   as follows:

   ●   python2,
   ●   python3,
   ●   not provide python command,
   ●   allow python to be configurable by an end user or a system administrator.

https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0394/

Cheers,
David.