Re: Kernel panics on boot with fresh testing install on ASUS UX501J notebook

On Tue, Jun 08, 2021 at 12:05:21PM +0200, Thom Castermans wrote:
> How can I debug this problem? My suspicion is that this has to do with the
> kernel upgrade between stable and testing (4.19 to 5.10), but I'm not sure.
>
> Things I have tried so far:
>   - Ran smartctl test on the SSD: no issues reported.
>   - Ran memtest86: no issues reported [6].
>     (I am not suspecting hardware issues anyway, because buster is running fine
>      currently.)
>   - Chose different options for partitioning during install: tried encrypted
>     LVM, LVM and plain old ext4. Using full disk every time. This is because I
>     also saw error messages about LVM not being able to find the volume groups
>     a couple of times, but I did not take pictures unfortunately. It also
>     seemed to work anyway, because the partitions would be mounted correctly in
>     the few instances that booting succeeded.
>   - Installed non-free firmware (used the unofficial image [1]) during
>     installation and installed the intel-microcode package after installation
>     in an attempt to fix the error displayed in [4] ("[Firmware Bug]:
>     TSC_DEADLINE disabled due to Errata: please update microcode to
>     version: 0x22 (or later)").

The first and most obvious thing you should try is booting the buster
kernel, and seeing whether the problem still occurs.  This will let
you know whether the problem is in the kernel, or somewhere else.

I'm also quite confused how you tested "chose different options... during
install" to fix a problem that was introduced on a single machine after
a dist-upgrade.  Surely you don't mean you reinstalled buster and then
dist-upgraded again... that would be dramatically masochistic, especially
if you hadn't even tested using the previous kernel.