Re: A Grub Boot Question about initrd

I admit I made several big mistakes, here.  The first was not
having a backup of /boot as I thought I did.  The next is
thinking I could just copy the whole boot directory from a
known working system and be able to get it to work by using sed to
replace the UUID's of the system it was on with those of the
system it will be on.  Had I backed up the broken system instead
the minute I knew there was a problem, it would have been
fixable.

	Trying to transplant the good boot system to a different
machine really should work if one knows what all changed but if
that was the case, I'd be crowing about how I got it working.

	I may try one last thing which is to decompress the initrd
files and see if there is a way to make sure they work after
transplantation.  At this point, it's probably more important to
know what is poisoning the well as a training exercise since
having good backups of /boot would have turned a major halt in
to a minor irritation.  Trust me.  The good system is going to
get daily backups of boot and grub every 24 hours from this day
on.

	I haven't actually done anything yet to clone the good
system's boot drive because I want to do the clone in the middle
of the night when things are quieter and I don't run fetchmail
in the wee hours so the backup sees a more stable file system.

	If, by chance, I end up actually making the broken system
work, I'll let you know what it was and the one drive can serve
the whole system again.

Martin