Re: Boot Repair

On 03-06-2021 13:02, Martin McCormick wrote:
> Weaver <weaver@riseup.net> writes:
>> https://www.supergrubdisk.org/
>
> 	The site recommends downloading the hybrid version of
> grub2disk so that is what I did because all the Linux boxes I
> have are x86 hardware and have CD technology built in.
>
> 	This is quite an interesting creation.  The ISO image is
> a wee bit over 16 MB in size and, as I suspected, the package
> includes no screen reader modules whatsoever but I did mount the
> CD after burning it and ran
>
> find . -name "*" -print and there are serial modules sprinkled
> throughout the distribution.  There are occasional references to
> a serial console.
>
> 	In some of the documentation I have found on the site, I
> haven't found one iota of text as to how to make this console
> work but if computer users who are blind can access this serial
> console, that is like finding gold in them thare hills.
>
> 	Tomorrow, I will look further for any hints as to how to
> make the serial console appear but I actually did read the words
> "serial console" on that site.
>
> 	When I listed all the files on the CD, I also ran across
> the following:
>
> ./boot/grub/i386-efi/morse.mod
> ./boot/grub/i386-pc/morse.mod
> ./boot/grub/x86_64-efi/morse.mod
>
> 	If this has to do with outputting text in Morse Code, I
> know Morse since we amateur radio operators once had to know it
> to get our licenses and as long as it is sending at a reasonable
> rate which, for me, stops at about 20 words per minute, is
> perfectly useful to read the output.
>
> 	I didn't even see any references to Morse Code on the
> site so it's another way to make this useful.
>
> 	The PC being used to run this CD does have a piezo buzzer
> on the mother board so if there is a way to make it sing in
> Morse, I may not need the serial console but it certainly would
> be nice to know all there is about both of those fall-back
> methods.
>
> 	Thanks to anybody who knows where real sentences are that
> explain the serial console or the possible Morse code output.

Well, let us know how it goes, because I've noted a few visually
disadvantaged users on the list, and they would find the reference
useful.
If you have any further troubles, get back and there will be other
options.
Cheers!

Harry.

--
‘The issues are too important to be left for the voters’.
― Henry Kissinger