Re: [Bullseye] package bloat for video playback

Greg Wooledge composed on 2021-05-14 07:58 (UTC-0400):

> On Fri, May 14, 2021 at 09:15:22AM +0200, deloptes wrote:

>> it is not clear which version of Debian you are using.

> See, this *right here* is why you do not put important details only
> in the Subject: header.

> Some people don't read Subject: headers.  Make sure all of the relevant
> details are in the *body* of your message (also).

Who reads a message who doesn't see the subject line??? If I don't see the
subject line first, I won't likely pay any attention to any message content,
if I see any at all.

> Now we try to guess which one(s) of those might have brought in the
> additional packages that weren't wanted.  This is made harder by not
> knowing in advance whether the OP had mpv or mplayer already installed,
> and not seeing the actual output of the "apt install smplayer" command
> that was used.  (That would have made it far too easy.)
> Well, that one looks promising, maybe.  So perhaps the OP had mplayer
> already installed, which would have short-cutted the "mpv | mplayer"
> dependency in smplayer, and... who knows.  It's basically unfeasible to
> track down an entire branching dependency hierarchy in this way by hand,
> especially with no details provided by the OP.

That seems quite an abundance of detail you seem to be expecting:
# inxi -Sxxxy
System:
  Host: gx78b Kernel: 5.10.0-5-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 10.2.1
  Desktop: Trinity R14.0.11 tk: Qt 3.5.0 info: kicker wm: Twin 3.0 vt: 7
  dm: TDM Distro: Debian GNU/Linux bullseye/sid
# set | grep LANG
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
# fc-match sans
DroidSans.ttf: "Droid Sans" "Regular"
# fc-match monospace
DroidSansMono.ttf: "Droid Sans Mono" "Regular"
# fc-match 'dejavu sans'
DejaVuSans.ttf: "DejaVu Sans" "Book"
# ls /usr/share/xsessions/
icewm-session.desktop  trinity.desktop
# dpkg -l | egrep 'mpv|mplayer'
# apt install smplayer
... 'apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following additional packages will be installed:
  fonts-urw-base35 imagemagick-7-common libdjvulibre-text libdjvulibre21 libffms2-4 libgs9 libgs9-common libijs-0.35 libjbig2dec0 libmagick++-7-5 libmagickcore-7-9 libmagickwand-7-9
  libmujs1 libqt5xml5 libraqm0 libraw20 libsixel1 libwmf0.2-7 libzip4 mpv poppler-data vapoursynth vapoursynth-ffms2
Suggested packages:
  fonts-freefont-otf | fonts-freefont-ttf fonts-texgyre libwmf0.2-7-gtk youtube-dl poppler-utils ghostscript fonts-japanese-mincho | fonts-ipafont-mincho fonts-japanese-gothic
  | fonts-ipafont-gothic fonts-arphic-ukai fonts-arphic-uming fonts-nanum
Recommended packages:
  fonts-droid-fallback ghostscript gsfonts smplayer-themes smplayer-l10n
  fonts-urw-base35 imagemagick-7-common libdjvulibre-text libdjvulibre21 libffms2-4 libgs9 libgs9-common libijs-0.35 libjbig2dec0 libmagick++-7-5 libmagickcore-7-9 libmagickwand-7-9
  libmujs1 libqt5xml5 libraqm0 libraw20 libsixel1 libwmf0.2-7 libzip4 mpv poppler-data smplayer vapoursynth vapoursynth-ffms2
0 upgraded, 24 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
Need to get 19.1 MB of archives.
After this operation, 71.4 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.
--
Evolution as taught in public schools is, like religion,
	based on faith, not based on science.

Felix Miata