Re: How do I permanently disable unattended downloads of software/security updates?

Stella Ashburne wrote:

> Question: Is it a prerequisite (pre-condition) that to set up a cron job to download updates at a fixed time every day, the OS must have the installed package "unattended-upgrades"?

No.

apt install apticron

will get you a customizable cron job that will:

- update the package lists daily
- optionally download but not install updated packages
- send you mail about updated packages (at an address of your
  choice)

-dsr-