passwordless SSH

Operating System: Debian GNU/Linux 10
KDE Plasma Version: 5.14.5
Qt Version: 5.11.3
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.54.0
Kernel Version: 4.19.0-16-amd64
OS Type: 64-bit
Processors: 4 × AMD FX(tm)-4350 Quad-Core Processor
Memory: 15.6 GiB of RAM

I have been trying to setup passwordless SSH for a Backuppc system. I have three Debian 10  systems (including the server) . SSH sets up fine on one of the client machine and "ssh backuppc@192.168.254.xx starts without asking for a password. The other machine (supposedly identical) not only asks for a password but will not accept any of the known passwords.  If I go to the offending machine and attempt to su to the backuppc user , I am asked for a password and no passwords work. This doesn't allow the use of ssh-copy-id for transfering the encryption key to that machine. I have tried to reset the backuppc password three times but did not solve the problem. In both systems the public key is stored in /var/lib/backuppc/.ssh as id_rsa.pub.

I also have a Windoz 7 laptop that I want to include and have managed to get ssh and rsync installed (what a mess that was). I have not tried to get passwordless access to that yet. For later.

Any insights?

Gary R.