Re: How do I permanently disable unattended downloads of software/security updates?

On Sat, May 29, 2021 at 09:49:06AM +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> In the case of configuration files (basically everything that is under
> /etc and a few other places) it can cause unexpected or even unsafe
> behaviour as the software might revert to built-in defaults that could
> be wrong for your system.

Also worth noting: if you remove a conffile and then think "Oops, I
didn't mean to do that, let me reinstall the package to get it back",
you will be surprised.  The conffile will not be replaced.  Your action
of deleting the conffile while retaining the package is explicitly
noted by the package manager, and respected as a conscious choice.

If you want to replace a deleted conffile, you may either *purge* the
package and then reinstall it, or use the --force-confmiss flag to dpkg.

On Sat, May 29, 2021 at 10:06:09AM +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> APT (the software package) doesn't autoremove packages, though it might
> suggest you to do that when you use the 'apt' command.
>
> aptitude in its default configuration will do so on every occasion, so
> you might want to avoid using it for package installs, removals, etc.

tasksel will also perform an autoremove for you without asking you.
It was after this happened to me that I investigated how to disable
apt's autoremove feature.

See also <https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=868892>.