Web log analysis

Hi all,

I need to get a handle on what my web servers are doing.

I remembered the name awstats, and installed it, but when I finally got it going (I had a typo in my nginx custom format), the output was somewhat opaque.

Things I'd like:

Ability to safely provide access to my customers
Ability to show trends over a decent length of time (at least a year)
Reasonable support for custom log formats, and ideally be helpful if I get it wrong ("It doesn't match" really wasn't very helpful)
Easy to navigate different views
Graphs would be nice
Not too much load on the web server
Free Software
Included in Debian preferred

Many of my sites are Wordpress sites, so I could choose from the many available plugins, but I suspect those will probably only start reporting from when they're installed; I have existing logs going back anything up to a few years. Generic is probably better.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Richard