Re: generate a rss.xml from a bunch of HTML files

davidson wrote:

>> How can I generate a rss.xml from a bunch of HTML files?
>>
>> Tho one would think this to be quite a simple tool of
>> parsing the HTML and outputting the RSS XML dialect,
>> I can't find any tool...
>
> XSLT is a language that is sort of made for describing this
> kind of transformation.
>
> My degree of XSLT-clue is quite low, but occasionally I find
> a small project pitched to my rudimentary ability, and try
> to level up a little.
>
> Whenever I do that, I find this debian package useful:
>
>   xsltproc - XSLT 1.0 command line processor
>    XSLT is an XML language for defining transformations of XML files from
>    XML to some other arbitrary format, such as XML, HTML, plain text, etc.
>    using standard XSLT version 1.0 stylesheets.
>    .
>    This package contains a command line tool that facilitates XSLT
>    transformations.
>   Homepage: http://xmlsoft.org/xslt/

Right, something like that!

> Sometimes I need this one too, to tweak HTML into something xsltproc
> can deal with:
>
>   tidy - HTML/XML syntax checker and reformatter
>    Tidy corrects and cleans up HTML and XML documents by fixing
>    markup errors and upgrading legacy code to modern standards.
>    .
>    This package contains a command line tool 'tidy'.
>   Homepage: http://www.html-tidy.org/

Yep, I know that, good tool.

> It sounds to me like you want to make a script that calls
> xsltproc to apply some XSLT transformation of your own
> devising. I think if I were in your place, I would study
> a few examples like this simple one...

But the transformation should actually not be my personal
devising, it should be the HTML definition and how that
translates to RSS...

>  "The XSLT used by html2rss-web"
>  html2rss-web/rss.xsl at master · gildesmarais/html2rss-web · GitHub
>  https://github.com/gildesmarais/html2rss-web/blob/master/public/rss.xsl#start-of-content

Yeah... but what tool is that? I'll check it out, for sure.

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal