Re: PC fan getting very loud

On 09.05.2021 12:49, deloptes wrote:
Alexander V. Makartsev wrote:

On 09.05.2021 02:30, deloptes wrote:
Charles Curley wrote:

Fujitsu ESPRIMO Q520 when opening some sh*tty web sitesin firefox the
fan gets extremly noisy.
I have a similar problem with some of my older laptops. I have switched
to Vivaldi (based on chromium), and that has reduced the problem
considerably. Firefox is a resource hog.
Q520 is not a week/old machine it is i5 cpu

I think you have unrealistic expectations.
This unit has 4th gen 2 core CPU rated at 35W TDP. [1] Which is not as
efficient as modern CPUs and don't have the ability to step-down to
low-frequency (under 1GHz) modes.
Turbo Boost doesn't count in the TDP rating and it makes this mini-PC to
generate even more heat.
That amount of heat has to be dissipated with super small heatsink and
cooling fan. [2]
Keep in mind, that fan also has to cool down every other part of this
mini-PC, like ICH, RAM, HDD and power circuit components.
No wonder it struggles to keep up and produce so much noise.
Put this mini-PC under any, not just Firefox, multi-threaded workload
and you will have the same outcome.

Thank you - I've been thinking of this, but somehow I am not convinced. See
the CPU frequency (800).
What would be a good test to find out if this theory is true? Should I test
by opening the case. If theory is true with proper cooling it wouldn't run
crazy. Correct?
You can monitor and log temperatures and other characteristics with 'psensor'.
TCase of i5-4570T is only 66.35°C and that means CPU will have to keep the temperature at that point or lower.
I'd expect an idle temperature of this CPU (without any load) with this cooling solution will be already around 40-45°C if not higher.
By simple launching of any application will make the CPU load to spike to 100% and heat to build up.
I'm not sure if disabling CPU vulnerabilities mitigations (meltdown\spectre) would improve the performance of the CPU, allowing it to go into idle state sooner and this way make it cooler without resorting to throttling.
Opening the case won't help much and will probably be more harmful if the cooling solution was designed to make the air flow through the case and this way cooldown the other components of this unit.
I doubt you can do anything to improve cooling efficiency of this mini-PC, because its cooling solution is not standard and you can't just replace it with a more efficient one, like you can with standard PC.
Basically, a small sized cooler fan means it will have higher RPM (3000+) and high RPM means it will produce a lot of loud noise.

C700

vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 42