Useful clipboard inspection tools?

I have a problem with a linux gtk application when I copy some text from a window.

I can paste the text into pluma and openoffice documents on the same machine without problem, but when I use remote desktop to a windows machine the paste doesn't work.

If I paste into pluma and then copy from pluma I can then paste into the remote windowsdesktop.

I want to chase down what I assume is a mimetype problem. I have found xclip but it doesn't give me anything useful. In particular, say I do a screenshot and copy to clipboard, xclip doesn't know anything about the screenshot image.

I am using Mate desktop and need a high class tool that can give accurate reports on all the data and mimetypes of the clipboard contents.

Any suggestions?

--
Jeremy