Re: Xorg fatal server error segmentation fault i686

Brad Rogers <brad@fineby.me.uk> writes:

> On Wed, 05 May 2021 15:31:25 +0100
> Richmond <richmond@criptext.com> wrote:
>
> Hello Richmond,
>
>>01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation NV11
>>[GeForce2 MX/MX 400] [10de:0110] (rev b2)
>
> As mentioned by Greg;
>
> On Wed, 5 May 2021 11:14:44 -0400
> Greg Wooledge <greg@wooledge.org> wrote:
>>Or else look for this nvidia detection script that I've heard about
>>in the past, which is supposed to tell you.
>
> The package you'll need is nvidia-detect.  It runs from the command
> line (simply; nvidia-detect) and gives an output which includes a
> recommendation as to which suite of packages to use (i.e. current, or
> one of the legacy packages).
>
> As an example;
>
> brad@earth:~$ nvidia-detect
> Detected NVIDIA GPUs:
> 07:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation TU116
> [GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER] [10de:2187] (rev a1)
>
> Checking card:  NVIDIA Corporation TU116 [GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER] (rev
> a1) Your card is supported by the default drivers.
> Your card is also supported by the Tesla 460 drivers series.
> Your card is also supported by the Tesla 450 drivers series.
> It is recommended to install the
>     nvidia-driver
> package.

I have added non-free contrib to sources but there does not seem to be a
package called nvidia-detect for this architecture. There is such a
package on a laptop I have but that is 64 bit.

I think the driver is this one:

https://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/driverResults.aspx/1252/en-uk

But I don't want to risk installing it from there.

Certainly I have used an nvidia driver on the PC many years ago with
opensuse but they don't support 32 bit anymore except with tumbleweed
and that doesn't include nvidia driver installation.