Re: [Off topic] videos of german state TV, was Re: HTML syntax.

Hi,

Michael Lange wrote:
> Oddly, it seems like the German public TV station ZDF blocked the video
> for Germany due to "intellectual property rights" which are not explained
> any further.

The reason for not eternally offering videos for download is in the legal
framework of german state TV. (In german: "Rundfunkstaatsvertrag", now
"Medienstaatsvertrag".)

State run TV collects mandatory fees from all households for the purpose
of broadcasting radio and TV. When the internet became important for
publishing, the private german newspaper publishers and TV stations
objected that the state run TV used those fees for financing a strong
web appearance. The compromise, which is now law, was the rule that
videos and audio are publicly available only for a limited time.
  https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%96ffentlich-rechtlicher_Rundfunk#Engagement_im_Internet
  https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depublizieren

We had cases of self-censoring which led to depublication. I remember
the song "Meine Oma ist 'ne alte Umweltsau" (= "My granny is an old
environmental hog"), sung by a children choir and produced by TV station
WDR in 2019. That video was retracted after conservative politicians
complained about the insult towards their main voter group.
  https://www.sueddeutsche.de/medien/wdr-umweltsau-kinderchor-satire-1.4738637

But i really do not see any such censoring with the video about
environmental problems with electrical cars. It was aired and then
available for two months. Business as good or bad as ever.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas