Re: HTML syntax.

On Mon, May 03, 2021 at 11:54:58PM +0200, deloptes wrote:
> tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
>
> > xmllint has an --html option for that. That said...
>
> you sure that it will give a warning if tag is not closed? Cause I do not
> think so. In fact the --html option seems to correct those missing tags.
> All together it's a good tool, but I do not know how it applies to html5

AFAIK it does HTML4.

HTML5 is a "living standard" [1], [2] which is an euphemism for "Apple,
Google, Microsoft and, to a slowly dwindling extent Mozilla, will tell
you what is supposed to work today".

The W3C consortium fought tooth and nail to fix a standard and lost.
Whatwg (the above mentioned Big Guys) imposed

Raph Levien called that, back then in 1998, "The decommoditization of
protocols" [1]. A visionary.

Remember this old joke (around 1990)

  Q: How many Microsoft engineers does it take to screw in a light bulb?
  A: None, they just define darkness as an industry standard.

Well, we arrived there.

In a nutshell, no, I don't think libxml (which xmllint is part of) has the
resources to track this madness.

Cheers

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML5
[2] https://html.spec.whatwg.org/