Re: When to reboot after dist-upgrade?

On Du, 02 mai 21, 22:42:28, riveravaldez wrote:
> Hi, sorry if this is not the place to ask (and in that case please
> point me in the proper direction).

It's definitely on topic here ;)

> I'm trying to distinguish when a system reboot is an absolute need
> and when it is absolutely safe to keep the system running/working
> after a `sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade`, once
> I have already performed a complete restart of all needed services
> through `sudo needrestart' options in Debian testing.

needrestart does have some built-in exceptions (e.g. network-manager),
to minimize disruptions.

> $ sudo checkrestart
> lsof: WARNING: can't stat() fuse.gvfsd-fuse file system /run/user/1000/gvfs
>       Output information may be incomplete.
> Found 6 processes using old versions of upgraded files
> (1 distinct program)
> (0 distinct packages)
> No packages seem to need to be restarted.
> (please read checkrestart(8))
>
> , would be perfectly safe and right to keep the system running or on
> the contrary should I perform a (warm/cold?) reboot to be safe?

Would you have a reason not to?

> PS: `apt-get dist-upgrade` output is translated to English...,

That has the potential to introduce misunderstandings. When dealing with
computer output exact wording matters a lot!

> system is
> in Spanish and I keep not-remembering how to force console output
> to English, sorry...

Please use something like

    LANG=C.UTF-8 apt ...

LANG=C will probably work in most cases, but it might display funny
stuff in case some program is using non-ASCII characters.

Kind regards,
Andrei