Re: Is there any way to snoop on a USB port?

"Martin McCormick" <martin.m@suddenlink.net> writes:

> I have a Windows box that has software on it which programs
> two-way radios and it would be nice to know what the radio and
> computer are saying to each other.
>
> 	After trying a Windows application that reportedly can
> capture serial port traffic, I find that it doesn't appear to
> work with usb ports and unix/linux is my preferred world anyway
> so is there any sort of hardware that would pass through a USB
> connection from the Windows box to the radio and let me siphon
> off the traffic to a linux system and log it?
>
> 	The Windows app I tried to use has been around for a
> decade or more and probably works well with RS-232 ports but the
> traffic I need to grab comes from a usb device that creates
> /dev/ttyACM0 if plugged in to a Linux box and comm2 on the
> Windows system
>
> 	When I tried it today, it did nothing but complain that
> it was not connected.  It finally dawned on me that it probably
> sees no serial ports at all as it is supposed to automatically
> find and log all port I/O and this is a relatively new HP
> Pavilion desktop computer which has no native RS-232 ports or
> parallel ports on it and, even if it did, the connection from the
> radio to the usb port is a usb plug with the usb hardware in it
> and a cable that plugs in to the radio that would most likely
> not be practical to tap.

First, I assume the software isn't CHIRP, since that also runs under
Linux (and is open source besides).

When I faced a similar problem (reverse engineering the protocol used to
talk to a hobby rocket altimeter), I put Windows on a virtualbox VM on
my Linux machine, and then used wireshark to watch the protocol.